Most of us get what it means to offer a service package. But what about affiliate marketing?
Affiliate marketing is more than having links in your posts and hoping someone purchases through them. Well, I know that now, but affiliate marketing used to be a maze to me. And I used to believe several myths about it.
That’s when I came across Michelle from Making Sense of Cents. She started off earning $672 from her blog 4 years ago and now makes $102,911 mostly through affiliate marketing (her most recent income report).
I’ve been watching her from the sidelines since last year and had to jump in when she launched her course Making Sense of Affiliate Marketing.
I managed to get her for an email interview to answer some of my questions…but first let me tell you what I loved about the way this course was taught:
- Michelle does not teach you a ‘formula’. She does not promise you will make X amount of money in Y amount of time. She understands that everyone’s blog and business is different.
She teaches the strategy behind affiliate marketing so that every one can apply it to their own blogs and businesses. There’s a lot of content strategy that’s involved and that’s what I love about the course.
- The course gets you in a frame of mind to start thinking about affiliate marketing and how to apply it to your blog. I haven’t started implementing everything in the course but just doing a couple of things have more than doubled my affiliate income.
And affiliate marketing isn’t just for food bloggers or mom bloggers. Almost any niche can add affiliate marketing to their revenue stream.
- Michelle is very accessible in her Facebook group and via email. She genuinely wants each of her students to succeed and that care comes across so visibly.
- There is a bonus Pinterest section within the course taught by Rosemarie Groner from The Busy Budgeter who gets tons of traffic from Pinterest and she teaches her strategies with detailed video tutorials.
- I have always felt spammy and uncomfortable with using affiliate links in my posts but Michelle’s strategies and the way she teaches them will change your view of affiliate marketing.
I’ll leave you to enjoy my interview with Michelle below.
1. What made you decide to start Making Sense of Cents?
2. Why did you choose affiliate marketing to monetize your blog?
I chose affiliate marketing because it can feel quite passive and if I’m going to promote products anyways, then it’s a great way to earn a living. With affiliate marketing, you can create just one blog post or social media post, and potentially earn money from it for well into the future, as long as you maintain it and keep generating traffic to it. With affiliate marketing, I can enjoy life more and know that I am still able to earn a great living promoting products that I use and enjoy.
3. What mistakes do you see bloggers making when it comes to affiliate marketing?
The biggest mistake I see bloggers make when it comes to affiliate marketing is that they wait too long to start with affiliate marketing. My best piece of advice for other bloggers is to start as soon as they can with affiliate marketing and learn about it now! I waited so long to try my hand at affiliate marketing, and I regret waiting so long. Even if you have a low amount of followers or if you are a new blogger, you can still be successful at affiliate marketing and earn a living online.My best piece of advice is to start as soon as they can with affiliate marketing Click To Tweet
4. How long does it take before you can realistically start to make money from affiliate marketing?
That is a difficult question to answer, as everyone is different. With my Making Sense of Affiliate Marketing course:
- One student in the course went from $87 a month in affiliate income before taking the course, to over $1,700 a month after!
- One blogger received their first affiliate sale just two days after taking the course (and they were a brand new blogger too!).
- Another blogger doubled their monthly affiliate income from $2,500 to $5,000.
5. What myths do bloggers have about affiliate marketing?
Many bloggers believe that affiliate marketing is as easy as just placing affiliate links on your website. This is a myth that I despise!
You cannot just slap affiliate links on your blog with the hopes of earning affiliate income. You have to have some sort of strategy, which is what I teach in Making Sense of Affiliate Marketing. So many bloggers make this mistake and usually lose followers or waste their time because they don’t realize that there is a correct way and a wrong way to approach affiliate marketing!
6. Who will benefit from this course?
The average blogger is not good with affiliate marketing, and my course can help anyone who is struggling with earning affiliate income.
Making Sense of Affiliate Marketing is a great learning tool, even if you are a new blogger who is still putting their website together. By taking this course, you will start off blogging the correct way. You can learn from my affiliate marketing mistakes and learn the best ways to start making an income by being an affiliate. Through taking this course you are sure to grow a profitable blog quicker than the average blogger, as you’ll learn exactly what you need to know about affiliate marketing. So, even if you only have one blog post, you are ready to get started with this course!
Most bloggers don't anywhere near the amount of affiliate income that they should MAKEClick To Tweet
Even if you’ve been blogging for years, this course may be for you as well. Affiliate marketing is an area that even the most seasoned bloggers can improve upon. Plus, most bloggers aren’t making anywhere near the amount of affiliate income that they should be and are leaving money on the table. If you want to grow your affiliate income, there are numerous tips and strategies that I share in Making Sense of Affiliate Marketing.
7. What does the course cover?
- The basics of affiliate marketing and an introduction to what it is
- Why all bloggers should be earning affiliate income
- The exact steps I’ve taken to earn over $400,000 from a single blog post
- How to pick the correct affiliate products to promote
- How to increase your conversion rate
- How to build trust and not lose followers
- How to correctly disclose affiliate links
- The many different strategies to use to promote products that you are an affiliate for
8. How different is this from other affiliate marketing courses?
9. What is the cost of the course?
Get started with affiliate marketing on the right foot
Many of you may not be ready to add an info product to your mix, or if you’re looking at adding an additional stream of income to your blog or not happy with your affiliate income, this is a course that you should consider adding to your blogger course kit.
The Facebook group is worth the price of the course. The people in the course are fabulous and you’re bound to pick up some amazing tips from the group. There are some established bloggers in the group as well which opens a world of networking opportunities.